Saturday 29 November 2014

SOLO DINNER IN LA CRUZ

Today I want to paint you a picture with words as I didn’t carry my camera ....

When I was in my 30’s I used to travel as part of my job with Tourism British Columbia.  I facilitated week long travel counselling courses throughout the province, training staff on how to help tourists enjoy their town and surroundings.  My travels took me across the province of British Columbia from Dawson Creek to Nelson and Prince Rupert to Campbell River, to name a few.  I always took a novel with me on those trips, read especially when I ate dinner out by myself.  I actually enjoyed eating a good meal out and reading leisurely.

Last Saturday night Jim and I were supposed to have dinner out together but Jim wasn’t feeling well so I decided to go to Charlie’s Place by myself.  I left Falcon VII just as the sun was setting, walking west along the docks as I watched the sky turn from vibrant pink and peach to somber mauve and eventually smoky blue. I walked around the malecon enjoying the slight cool breeze as I made my way towards an open house at PV Sails.  After a few minutes of connecting with friends I continued my walk to the restaurant, carefully stepping on the uneven cobblestones as the sky dimmed and stars appeared.  Since La Cruz is a village, the streets weren’t all lit up like in a city.  A couple of passing vehicles illuminated the sidewalk until I encountered an intersection with a street light where I turned and meandered another block until the faint cheering of fans at a televised football game indicated I had arrived.


Dawn took this photo of me enjoying my ribs while reading.
Charlie’s Place is run by Jim and Melinda while their son, Charlie the chef, creates the thin crust pizzas, unusual salads and other delicious delights.  The building features a kitchen and patio on the main floor with a big wood burning pizza oven then the restaurant/bar seating for 40 upstairs.  We’ve eaten there a few times and our good friend, Dawn, is now waitressing for Jim and Melinda.   Melinda suggested I join a table of cruisers I hadn’t met before.  I approached and sat down but they really wanted to watch the football game and I really wanted to read my book so I politely excused myself and headed to a smaller out of the way table surrounded by climbing bougainvillea blooms where a fluffy calico Persian cat was stretched out along the ledge.

Dawn brought me a huge limonada, made with freshly squeezed limes, Jim’s special sugar cane syrup and mineral water.  I sipped the tangy drink while perusing the menu where the baby back ribs jumped out at me from the dozen or so options.   Dawn hurried my order in to Charlie while I read my book and petted the purring feline.  It wasn’t long before she returned carrying a hot plate filled with juicy ribs cooked a secret barbeque sauce, homemade baked beans, finely chopped coleslaw and a slice of ripe watermelon.  Dawn chuckled when she came by to check on things and caught me sitting back with my eyes closed and a subtle smile on my face - in pure joy as I let the first tender morsel release its smoky flavour into my mouth.  I savoured every mouthful of that delicious meal and followed it up with a nice cup of steaming black tea.

Charlie popped upstairs from his kitchen to see how the guests were enjoying their dinners and I was able to thank him personally.  He returned to his kitchen with a big smile on his face to make a mushroom flat crust pizza for me to take home to Jim.

Eventually I paid my bill and waved good bye to Jim, Charlie and Melinda, petting Blue the dog and the contented cats before giving a hug goodnight to Dawn.  I had a quiet stroll along the cobblestone streets where families sat outside on plastic chairs watching Spanish programs on boxy old tv’s.  Many front doors were open to the sidewalk so any breeze could go right through.  One cinder block home even had a Christmas tree perched in the living room corner!  It had twinkling lights, lots of glitter and an angel perched on top. I shook my head, amazed that someone had a tree up more than four weeks before Christmas.

As I wandered along the now familiar narrow streets I heard the sound of Philo’s Mexican Shuffle Band playing an early set.  Closer to the marina, Funkswagen played soft rock at Gecko Rojo’s where gringos were listening to another rendition of the Eagles “Desperado”.  I waved at the security guards as I entered the marina walkway towards the malecon and our dock.  While I looked out over ‘our’ marina I saw bursts of colourful, sparkling fireworks explode in the cloudless sky over Bucerias, three miles to the east.

Jim was fast asleep when I returned so I quietly put the pizza in the fridge, knowing how much he would enjoy it in the morning.XXXXAll in all, a wonderful evening in La Cruz including precious time to read my mystery novel.  Another memento for the memory book of our time here in La Cruz de Huantcaxtle.

Tricia and Jim Bowen
S/V Falcon VII
email: tandjbowen13@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. So nice Tricia, you captured the essence of the specialness of the ordinary I find almost every day in this nomadic life.

    ReplyDelete